The Business was established in 1844 by Alfred Porter, the son of a Wokingham clock maker, and whose clockmaking ancestors can be traced back in direct line to Matthew Porter, apprenticed in 1682 to Thomas Taylor of the Strand.
In 1895 Alfred died and his son Alfred William, one of thirteen children in the family, took on the job of running the family business. Since then the shop has been handed down from father to son, and is now in the hands of the fourth generation of Porters.
Initially, clockmaking and repairs were the basis of the business, but gradually the emphasis changed and during the early 20th century items of antique jewellery, silver, furniture and clocks were bought and sold. In recent years we have again changed and nowadays our stock consists of jewellery, silver, clocks, porcelain, objets d’art, and gift items both antique and new, also newly in stock are an increasingly popular range of gift cards.
We particularly specialise in the restoration of antique clocks musical boxes and barometers. We have full time staff on the premises and a very well equipped workshop.